Thursday, March 12, 2015

The First Time Emily Read To Me In Braille

September 30, 2014

Today, Emily came home with Braille homework. The night before I had watched her struggle to read some fairly simple words that had been enlarged for her.  She was having such a hard time just seeing the words, reading them was even more difficult.  She didn't like to read out loud in Braille at home.  I'm not sure why, maybe she just didn't want to be bothered with it.  So I suggested to her therapist that giving her homework might help.  So when she came home with Braille homework a week or so later, she knew she had to do it.  I can't quite articulate the emotions I experienced at the moment she began to read, but it was the first time she really read to us in Braille and I was in tears from the first word.  The video really just speaks for itself, but if I had to choose three words to describe it they would be strength, pride and hope...


Braille may one day, possibly sooner than we think, become her main way of reading and writing.,,it's a reality we all now have to learn to accept.  I am so proud of her! 

No comments:

Post a Comment