Monday, March 16, 2009

It's been 507 days

It has taken me more than 16 months to sit down and write about Emily's condition. Up until now, I have only talked about my feelings with some close friends and my husband. I need to do this, I need to get these feelings out onto a screen and out of my head. I think the sooner I can do that, the sooner I can start to heal. I blogged throughout my entire pregnancy and my last post was the day before Emily was born, 507 days ago. I had planned on blogging about her birth, our new family and the new life that we were bringing into this world. But in the days, weeks and months following her birth...I couldn't. In fact for the first month of Emily's life I was in shock, in disbelief and overwhelmed with heartache for my little girl. I couldn't do much more than cry. I didn't want to talk to friends or family about it because I couldn't bring myself to actually say the words that needed to be said.

Emily was born blind.

But today I am stronger than I was then. I have come to terms with Emily's condition and accepted that it is now part of my life, our lives. It has been a long and hard 16 months, and the next few months don't look much brighter. But we will make it through, one day at a time. I want to go back to the beginning and write about how we got to where we are today. So that is where I will start...

No comments:

Post a Comment