Saturday, September 19, 2009

Hope, Sacrifice, Fear and Compassion

Anyone who has a spouse, child, parent or sibling with a serious medical condition will understand the true meaning of the words hope, sacrifice and fear. Fear sets in immediately. It's ugly, painful and follows you around like the darkness of your shadow. But even on the darkest of days, there is a tiny light called hope. When hope comes knocking at your door, you hold on to it as tight as possible and never let go. It's a difficult balance because the fear never leaves, even when hope arrives.

The sacrifice that you make as a family becomes second nature. You find a way to provide the medical care for your loved one, there is no choice...you just do it. You make changes in your life to accommodate their needs without even knowing it. I, as a mother, have made a million sacrifices for my family. Don't ask me to name them all because I probably don't even know I'm doing any of them.

Being on the inside of the "bubble" I can only see what is right around me. Emily's immediate medical care, the needs of my two boys and the responsibility I share with my husband to raise a happy and healthy family. That is my bubble. If you aren't inside my bubble...how can you possibly understand what I am going through? Some people try, others are just glad they are on the outside.

Once you have a bubble of your own...you are no longer immune to other bubbles that are like yours. You find compassion for others who are dealing with the same fear and sacrifice that you are. Suddenly you understand things you didn't before. You no longer see a sick child and think to yourself "I can't imagine what that family is going through". You can imagine it because you are living it.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there,

    I just happened to chance upon your blog...and I will not claim that I that I understand what you're going through, but I here's what I have to say to you.

    For the past couple of days, I've had this urge in me to tell this to somebody who needs and will understand this. Didn't find anyone around. So I waited and found you. It's as though God's telling you to do something and you do it. And, I didn't understand at first why he asked me to, but I think now I do.

    Consider this from him - "Irrespective of how things might look on the outside, irrespective of what your senses tell you, one touch from god can turn it all around! With him, NO-THING is Impossible". Period.

    I know its easier said than done. But that's why I need you to understand this. I pray with all my heart that you have a healthy and happy family.I am nowhere close to what you have to deal with in life, but whatever experiences I've had, have taught me this one thing - Don't ever, & I mean "never" give up on Faith!

    You might have to stand your ground in faith till the very last minute, but guess, what there's always light, for all of us.

    When I saw Emily, I had tears in my eyes and I have even as I write this. She's such an adorable child and I understand this must be difficult for you and your family, but please don't ever let go of faith. You'll see God's light and so will Emily.

    Give her a tight hug from me!

    God bless you dear!

    Love and Light,
    Anubha

    ReplyDelete