Thursday, January 14, 2010

Squishy Eye

Although Emily hasn't been on any medication for the pressure, Dr. Kane showed me how to press on her right eye and force the fluid to flow through the new channel he created. This will help maintain the lower pressure and possibly prevent scar tissue from forming in the channel. We've dubbed this maneuver "squishy eye" since that's basically what we are doing. I have to press on the lower portion of her right eye for 10 seconds. I am so afraid of pushing too hard, but at the same time I don't want to not push hard enough. When I asked Dr. Kane about it, he said I can press alot harder than I think. That doesn't really help me much!

Emily is ok with us doing it, but she is catching on. If we tell her we need to do "squishy eye" she knows what is happening beforehand. That helps to alleviate some of her crying. We try to make her laugh by counting out loud and being silly while we are doing it, otherwise she'd be freaking out. Sometimes she even tries to count with us, but she only says four and five over and over, its so cute.

It started out as once a day but now we are up to 4 times a day. I don't mind doing it, but it's the amount of force I am using that I am worried about. I don't want to hurt her.

No comments:

Post a Comment