Monday, January 12, 2015

Slow Down Please!

May 12, 2014

Anyone who really knows me, knows I will do anything and everything for my children.  And many, MANY times I have had to be the proverbial "squeaky wheel"  in order to provide them with something they need.  Well, this was one of those things that shouldn't have needed the extra "squeaking" from me.  For about 6 months I had been calling the road department requesting signs be put up alerting drivers that a blind child lived in the area in hopes it would help people slow down and be attentive if they see the kids playing outside.  I know not many people truly pay attention to road signs anymore, its sadly the nature of our generation.  But if it helps one person slow down, its worth it.

I cried when I saw the signs, it was a mix of emotions.  I felt relived that they were finally put in place, but also sad that they were needed in the first place.  I so often look past the reality of Emily's lack of vision because I just see her, not her disability.  She is not a blind child...she is a child who is blind.  Her disability doesn't define her.

But in this case, for the sake of community awareness and her safety, I'm ok with the words "Blind Child".


No comments:

Post a Comment