Friday, January 9, 2015

The Strength Of A Child

As the mother of a special needs child, one of my biggest fears is how other children will treat her.  I want to protect her from being teased, made fun of and having her feelings hurt by kids who don't know or understand why she is different.  While I can try and prepare her for it, I can't prevent it from happening altogether.  But one thing I have learned is that Emily seems to already have more inner strength and maturity than I could ever imagine.  And that's not something that can be taught or learned, its just who you are at your very core.  And Emily's true spirit shines through in everything she does.

With everything she has been through, I wouldn't blame her for being sad, feeling disconnected from other children her age or frustrated by her visual limitations.  But she isn't any of those things.  She is happier than any child I know and isn't limited by her disability at all.  Independence is in her nature, she will never ask for help unless she absolutely needs it.  Instead of being sad about what she might not be able to do...she is proud to show you what she can do.  No one can tell her she can't do something, because she will prove you wrong every time.  

Over the last few years, I have caught myself holding my breath when in various settings other children ask her what is wrong with her eyes.  She very matter of factly will say "I was born blind and have had surgery on my eyes so I can see"...she gives a simple explanation and moves on.  Pass me the purple crayon please!  That is HER words, not mine. I've never prompted her on what to say to someone who asks her about her eyes, she comes up with her own answers and she NEVER feels sorry for her self. 

One of the best things I've heard her say happened at one of the first Girl Scout meetings she ever went to.  One of the girls she didn't know said to her "You only have one eye".  She says "Yeah...so?"

God I love this girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment